Friday, January 30, 2015
Last year I started out to make a doll basket for the 12" doll using the pattern from Dressing Up Dolly, Leisure Arts 2725. It ended up being used for the 15" doll and I never got back to making one for the 12" doll. This year I decided to play with the pattern and see if I could make one for the Melissa & Doug Jenna - 12" Doll for the donation.
The blanket pattern came from the 2015 Crochet Calendar. I used it for all the doll blankets this year. The pillow was just something I played with to give the doll a better fit in the basket.
Thursday, January 29, 2015
I made doll diaper bags for the 2013 donation and then never got back to doing them last year. This year I decided it was a priority to get started on them so I'd have them finished for the Christmas donation. The pattern is one that was gifted to me a few years ago and still available for purchase here.
Along with the bag, this pattern includes directions for the box of wipes and a changing pad. I have another pattern with items to add that I still need to dig out, but at least the basics are finished for the 15" baby doll. I need to make a second one using sport yarn for wipes for the 12" baby doll. I will need to get started on that one this winter or have the potential that it will never get finished.
Tuesday, January 13, 2015
As I mentioned in a previous post, one of my charity goals for the year was to get afghans done for both of the 18 inch doll donations. This is the second afghan.
This pattern comes from Crochet 2015 Day-to-Day Calendar and it works up very quickly. I'm considering using it for the baby doll's as I think it would work up easily with lighter yarn and a smaller hook.
The next project I didn't finish last year that I'd like to get done for this year is the diaper bags for the baby dolls. I have the one for the 15 inch doll started. Hopefully I'll be able to post it soon.
Monday, January 12, 2015
In working on adapting the Cabbage Patch outfits to the Mary Maxim soft body 15 Inch dolls it appears the preemies are the closest to the task. I worked on a nightgown pattern called "Purity" from an out of print leaflet, Cabbage Patch Crochet for Preemies from Plaid#8031.
In order to get the fit right I had to play with the hook size to get the body to fit right, but I was able to avoid having to sew buttons or snaps, so it worked for me.
This doll's wardrobe is growing quickly. I'm going to have to find some motivation for working on the 12 inch doll and the 18 inch doll clothes soon. It's hard when I keep finding projects I want to work on for the 15 inch doll.
Friday, January 9, 2015
My DH gave me the Crochet 2015 Day-to-Day Calendar for Christmas and I cracked it open and started searching through the patterns right away. By Christmas Night I decided to try the afghan pattern for the 18 inch dolls to see if it would work for my donation.
This is my favorite doll afghan pattern I've tried. I adapted it by using worsted weight yarn and an I hook, but the rest of the pattern made for a great afghan for the doll.
Every year I can almost guarantee I don't get to something I'd like to make for the dolls. Last year it was afghans for the 18 inch dolls. All the baby dolls had afghans and one kind Crochetville friend donated one, but I didn't have a chance to make any. This year, both 18 inch dolls will have blankets when they leave at Christmas.
Thursday, January 8, 2015
I have developed quite a collection of baby doll patterns that don't quite fit the Mary Maxim doll, but can be adjusted with some work. Today's outfit comes is the "Tiffany" pattern from Harold Magelson & Son's Kith and Kin Kids to Crochet that was published in 1980. I believe these were supposed to be imitation Cabbage Patch kids that you could buy the body parts and crochet the outfits sewing the dolls all together somehow.
In one of my out of print pattern searches I picked up a copy and found some of the outfits could be adapted if you worked around the joining of the hands and legs to the actual outfits you want to crochet.
Like many of the outfits, I have made over the years for this doll it does take a little adapting, but I think it was worth the effort. One of the advantages of working with the same dolls year after year, is you do start to get a feel for how to adapt these outfits.
I like this outfit because you have a romper with an add on skirt. I thought it made a cute outfit. It can be worn as just a romper or if the child wants, a little bit dressier with the skirt.
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
My DH originally bought this pattern for me on Etsy I believe, but not finding it there to post the link I found the designer is still offering it here. I tend to get drawn to certain projects at certain times and right now the 15" doll seems to be the focus of the main part of my doll crochet. I've learned not to argue with the pull. When I try to force it to go in a different direction, I tend not to get much done.
As with most outfits do to the size of the Mary Maxim doll, I did have to make some adjustments, but the bunting fits and another outfit is in the bag waiting for the next Christmas donation.
- ► 2016 (51)
- ▼ 2015 (55)
- ► 2014 (90)
- ► 2013 (69)
- ► 2012 (104)
- ► 2011 (196)
- ► 2010 (206)