Thursday, May 5, 2016
As I mentioned in the previous post this pattern was gifted to me by a Crochetville Fairy Godmother during one of our Wishlists. The pattern is available for purchase here.
I've yet to get it to fit the doll I intended it for when I put the outfit on the wishlist. This time I decided I'd have more control with a lighter yarn so I went with Caron Simply Soft for the variegated color. It soon became clear that the outfit was better suited to the smaller Melissa & Doug 12" Baby doll. That worked out fine since I tend to end up with far fewer outfits that will fit the smaller baby doll by donation time. One less pattern for the 15" doll hardly seems a problem.
Wednesday, May 4, 2016
I know I said I hit a snag on making American Girl clothes and I did. This was actually destined to be an outfit for the 15" inch baby doll. I received the pattern as a gift from a Crochetville Fairy Godmother. The pattern is available for purchase here.
When I started the dress it was too tight for the 15" baby doll's stomach. This is not an uncommon occurrence when I make outfits for the doll. Its tummy is a bit larger than many other dolls in the size range. I added some stitches to give it space and before I knew it the outfit was too large. Before frogging it, I decided to try it on the 18" doll to see if there was any saving it because I liked the look and the colors. I thought it made for a cute summer dress for the 18" doll and so we have another outfit to add to the donation pile.
As an added benefit, more of my friend's seemingly endless supply of off white yarn was used for this project. She really has been a huge part of this year's donation.
Tuesday, May 3, 2016
This project helped me reach a couple of my goals for this year increasing the number of outfits for the 12" Baby Doll and to use up yarn on hand. I had ordered more Red Heart soft yarn than I needed for another project, so using up a partial skein for this outfit seemed like a good choice. If you don't recognize the pattern, this is the same sundress pattern that I used for the 15" doll dress I made in pink. You can find that pattern here. The Red Heart soft was a lighter yarn and I used a smaller hook. In order to finish off the skein I made a small basket to go with the outfit.
I'm on my way to having a decent number of outfits for the smallest of the donation dolls this year. Being willing to experiment with using the larger doll patterns with lighter yarns and smaller hooks seems to have helped with the job.
Monday, May 2, 2016
This dress was a bit of an experiment and a hybrid of two patterns I was exploring. I discovered a free baby doll dress here that I tried several times to complete unsuccessfully. There were parts that appealed so I decided I'd combine it with the 14" Baby doll dress I'd previously had success with found here. I changed the hat using front and back post stitches to make it a little different. It was actually fun to make something for the doll in non-traditional baby colors.
- ▼ May (4)
- ► 2015 (55)
- ► 2014 (90)
- ► 2013 (69)
- ► 2012 (104)
- ► 2011 (196)
- ► 2010 (206)