Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Halloween House


In light of the limited activities that are going to available for Halloween this year I wanted to add something special to my Halloween box this year and settled on beginning to build a Halloween village.

Now time is limited so this might be the only house in the village this year. We will see if I get to build more, but every village begins with a building. So we begin with this round home with a witch hat for a roof. I have a haunted house pattern that if I don't get to this year will be a good addition for the village for next year. For those of you interested in the witch house you can purchase the pattern here.

The pattern calls for cotton sport weight yarn and a 2.0/2.2 hook. I started with acrylic sport weight and a D hook and even with increasing the hook size to an E I just found the house was too small. This actually worked out well for me because it meant I could use up some worsted 4 weight yarn I had left over from making the baby doll carriers from the Christmas donation. I love projects that help me work on finishing off yarn I've already dug into. I still have enough to make a small village but it is a start. To make this size house I used an E hook.

To make the door and window I did use acrylic sport yarn as I was concerned the worsted would make the items too large to fit on the house. I also added a few rows to the hat brim to make the brim wider.

I ordered the yarn I need to make more of the villagers so I have hopes of this being a fun play set for the little ones who may have curtailed fall activities. I'm hoping to have this out of here in time for it to arrive by the beginning of October so I do need to get moving.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

This house is so cute. What a great idea. I can imagine a whole street of little houses - time permitting! #mmbc

Leyla - Silk and Wool said...

Super cute :)

Donna @ Modern on Monticello said...

So adorable. You need to make a whole village for the holiday. Thanks for sharing this week at #HomeMattersParty

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers