Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Apple Pie



This is the last item headed into the Thanksgiving box for 2020. I have a couple of items for my house to finish for the holiday but then it is on to Christmas.



Of all the pie patterns I've worked with this is one of my favorite sets because it adds a bit of fun to the play because kids can put the pies together. The pattern includes a pattern for the apple pie, a pumpkin pie, and a berry pie. You can purchase the pattern here.



I made this pie many years ago for another family member and some things stuck with me about what I'd do differently if I tried it again. First the pie is large and storing all this food can be a challenge, so bringing down the size to a more manageable pie plate was a goal. The second thing I remembered from my previous experience is that the acrylic yarn didn't hold the shape of this pie very well because it isn't stuffed. The idea is that the child can "make" the pie by putting the pieces together. I found the acrylic yarn was a bit floppy when I made this the first time and I wasn't completely pleased with the experience.



I've been experimenting more with cotton sport yarn and thought it would be interesting to try that yarn for this project to see if it would provide more stability for the pieces. I used a Omega Sinfonia cotton sport yarn for this project with a C hook. I am pleased with the substitution and will stick with it if I come back to this pie pattern again.



I've preordered a book due out in December with more food patterns and kitchen accessories that I'm hoping to try out to add to future boxes. We will see what happens. For now I need to finish my Thanksgiving projects because I really need to get the Christmas box ready to ship.

1 comment:

XmasDolly said...

I love to crochet in fact due to our funds being quite low the Christmas presents my children will be getting will be made by me. I'm making lap blankets this year. They all want one because I use the yarn that's oh so soft. Praise God I know how thanks to my Mom. Your idea is quite nice & really could dress up the house. I'll have to keep that in mind for my summertime crocheting. You see I'm disabled also so praise Jesus I love to crochet or I'd be useless. It's nice to meet someone that loves it as much as I do. That pie you made is wonderful. I've never seen anything like that. Thanks for sharing! Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours. Be healthy, be safe and don't forget that mask!!! :)

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers