Monday, October 5, 2026

Barbie Pilgrim



Over the years I've acquired quite the doll library but only in the last few years have I truly commited to seeing what actually can be utilized for this donation.

This pattern comes from Crochet World's 1984 Special Issue No.2 Crochet Wardrobe for 11 1/2 Inch Fashion Dolls. What intrigued me when I saw this on a used pattern site was the mention of the Pilgrim outfits. Ken's is designed for display. However, when I saw Barbie's I had hopes this might work.

Notes:

The pattern calls for sport yarn. This is one of those terms that can make you crazy in old patterns for a number of reasons. Even in 1984 there were a number of references to sport yarn that meant different things. However, today we have so many different types of yarn referrred to as sport that the word is sometimes less than helpful.

The outfit shown in the picture looked like the yarn was lighter so I started with heavier thread, moved on to fingering and found myself at DK. Even then while the dress was a bit bulky, the way the waist was formed made the dress too small for my current model. To manage this I decided to fall back to crocheting over an elastic for the waist ensuring that the waist would fit.

As a note for future projects I'd start with the elastic waist and fingering yarn. The Premier Basix DK was bulkier than I liked but it was the only yarn that was even close to fitting at the waist.

The suggested D hook worked for the yarn portion of the project. I used a 1.8 mm thread hook for the thread sections with the exception of the bonnet which I used a 2.0mm.


I changed the cuffs by joining and then sc to the dress.

Bonnet needed added neck rows to get it to fit this Barbie's hair so I continued to crochet until it fit the face of the doll. The bonnet is supposed to have 3 rows bend back over the bonnet. I sc first row into back rows and sc next two rows as written. This just makes it easier to get the thread to fold evenly. I added ties to the bonnet with I believe 30 chains. If this was being displayed the like of ties would likely not be an issue but since it is designed for play it needs to be tied down.

I have a third Pilgrim pattern for Barbie from Shady Line that I last made before this donation started. I may pull that out and see which pieces work best. I do like the bonnet and apron from this pattern. The collars would have worked better if the dress worked better.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers