Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Mrs. Cottontail



I finished a second character from The Tale of Peter Rabbit for my Easter box. I found a free pattern for Peter's mother here.

For this project I used Knit Picks Brava Worsted and I found it was a lighter weight worsted than some. For those of you familiar with Planet June's designs and writing she's actually collecting yarn samples on her Ravelry group here to do a write up comparing the various products to document and demonstrate the variances in worsted weight brand yarns so we have an understanding of what we are working with when we start a project. I know I often have to combine brands to get the colors I want for a project and sometimes the size variances don't make a huge difference depending on where I'm using the color, but in locations a size change can throw off a project and that can be frustrating. I look forward to her results when she publishes them.

The challenge I had with using a lighter weight yarn for the body was I needed to change the yarn I intended to use for the clothes. One of the reasons this didn't post Monday was I had the dress almost finished using Joann's Big Twist yarn and it was just too heavy for the bunny. I pulled out an old skein of Red Heart Comfort Sport Blue and Bernat Baby Big Ball Sport Yarn, Baby Yellow and the fit was better.

Notes:

I used an e hook for the bunny. The white is baby yarn to match the lighter worsted yarn, the other white worsted I had was too heavy with the Brava worsted. If I make this pattern again, I'd go with the feet I used for Peter rather than the small feet used in this pattern. I think you get better overall balance.

With the exception of the bonnet I used a C hook with the baby yarn. The bonnet was made with Caron One Pound , White and an e hook.



While this bunny is made to be played with so the clothes can be removed, if I make this bunny again I wouldn't add the white tummy again, it makes it harder to fit the dress. I added the tail after the dress was done to make sure the hole lined up in the back.

My mailing deadline is coming quickly. I'd hopes for more projects, but first I really need to finish the finger puppet family. After that we will see if there is any time left. If not it is on to the summer birthday and more doll donations.

4 comments:

Jayne said...

I know what you mean about using different size yarns, it can make a real difference in places. Your project turned out great. Love the colours you have used too. #MMBC.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Ms. Cottonytail is adorable! pinned #MMBC

Dee | GrammysGrid.com said...

Both are really cute, looks nice! Thanks so much for linking up with me at A Themed Linkup 49 for All Things Crochet.

Dee | GrammysGrid.com said...

CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at A Themed Linkup 50 for Vegetable Gardening from my previous linkup for All Things Crochet.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers