Thursday, March 8, 2018

Piggy Scrubber



I posted a few days ago about finding pink scrubbies so I could make the pig in the 25 Fun Dishcloths To Crochetleaflet. I had an appointment that required waiting yesterday, so getting the dishcloth part of this pattern done was a great choice for a project that I could do with minimum attention while still feeling I was getting something finished.

This is the first time I've tried to sew a scrubby to a dishcloth. The sewing was easier than I expected as the stitches blended well into the mesh. Embroidering the nose proved to be a little more challenging as the location for the nose and the mesh didn't align perfectly, but I still believe it came out rather cute.

Now for my project notes. I added a back to this dishcloth which makes it about the weight of a potholder, especially with the scrubby. I did this for two reasons. First, I am not the neatest sewer in the world, so with sewing all the pieces on and embroidering the nose, the back is not as pretty as I'd like it to be, especially for a project that is going for a donation basket. My second reason for creating a back for this was to protect the scrubby. Once you sew the nose to the dishcloth the scrubby weighs down on the dishcloth just a bit. With the additional support from the back it is a stronger piece and I hope likely to rip.

In order to make the back I followed the first 7 rows of the pattern. I didn't end off the yarn and I crocheted the two pieces together crocheting behind the ears picking up the stitches to close the opening. The ears actually look cuter this way. There is no second set of ears, only the round circle.

Last note, this pattern called for a size 7 hook. I do have one, but it wasn't in my travel kit. I used my h hook and I was happy with the results.

As I mentioned before this dishcloth is headed off to a friend's kitchen donation. I'm having a great deal of fun exploring different kitchen patterns in between my other projects.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pig! Turned our great!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I'm in love with your piggy!

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers