Monday, January 22, 2024

Barbie Mermaid



Last year I came across a Mary Maxim kit for an 18 inch doll Mermaid outfit that I'd never made and decided it was time to use. It set me off on making another outfit for the My Life doll from a different pattern. I ended up with left over Prism yarn of a color I I'm not sure they still sell as it didn't quite look like any of their currently listed colors. It got me thinking about other potential mermaid choices as I didn't have enough left for another larger doll.

I'm not quite sure how I missed this pattern in my previous pattern searches but I stumbled across this free pattern here.

Since I hadn't made anything for the Vet doll donation I had planned on making this for the her, but the top was big using the suggested f hook with this yarn. It did however fit the zoologist proving once again how happy I am that the new model seems to fit more of my "standard" Barbie patterns. I'm still thinking about adapting this pattern not only for the Vet but for Skipper as playing with hooks and fiber might give me some options for fitting it to both dolls.

Notes:

I pretty much followed the pattern for this outfit. The top will slide up over the doll. However with that in mind I did sc around the arm holes as with this yarn I found her hands catching the yarn even more than most of the acrylic and cotton yarns I usually use for Barbie clothing. I also finished the top as it gave it a better finished look.

2 comments:

Oombawka Design said...

Your Barbie Mermaid outfit turned out beautifully. I love the yarn colors you used. Thank you for linking up at our weekly Link Party! You are being featured at our Wednesday
Party #539 this week. Here’s the direct link to the post in case you’d like to share your feature:
https://oombawkadesigncrochet.com/free-crochet-patterns-for-barbie-mermaid-toasted-bread-and-thermal-stitch-potholder-party-539/ Hope to see you again next week! Rhondda

Anne said...

that is such a cute outfit. I'm sure whatever doll it ends up on the recipient will be delighted.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers