Thursday, August 13, 2026

Lil Cutesies Overalls



This is another pattern I purchased here for the Lil Cutesies doll and never got around to making.

You may wonder why purchase and without a specific project in mind. Well the annual donation stays fresher when I rotate projects around keeping me from becoming bored.

I've also learned to buy before pattern designers disappear. If you find a designer that speaks your crochet language and designs for the dolls you need acquiring those patterns over time can be a great strategy for developing a rotation of outfits.

When you notice a designer start moving platforms you sometimes move them to the top of the aquisition pile even if you don't get to all the patterns at once. My hope is if the designer gets enough business perhaps they will keep designing.

My habit has been to buy a pattern from a designer and test the style to see if we speak the same crochet language. Some people find this odd but there are some designers I rarely have issues reading and understand what they are thinking when they write a pattern and others that I surrender and move on to something more productive. Now I do make changes that I document frequently. These are usually do to my own personal guage issues, available yarn, etc. However, I generally find myself looking at a shirt for instance at the end of a session making a shirt rather than a new piece of modern art.

I've chased a few designers across platforms to acquire their doll libraries as I don't have unlimited doll funds. While I'd love to acquire everything they've designed for the dolls I donate it can take time. However, when I do have the chance to stock up I do and then we have binders of doll patterns I dive into to find the neglected/lost patterns I've acquired. Some years I have more time than others for the hunt. This year has been a good year for the neglected pattern catalog.



Notes:

I always need to remind myself when starting these patterns that these are written in UK not US crochet terms. The first bootie could have fit on of the American Girl dolls. In my own defense I was highly distracted at the time and once the bottom of the foot was done realized my mistake.

I used a 2.5mm hook for the outfit.

The White Yarn is Bernat Big Ball Sport Baby. The purple is Lion Brand Baby Soft Dusty Lilac. The flower is a unknown baby yarn brand of purple. I've been trying to attack orphan skeins in my stash. Over the years I've picked up different brands of baby yarns for the donation when they've been on sale to try. It might just be a bad skein but this was was thready at times. It had a hard time holding it together. I'd been going to use my Bernat Baby lavender but wanted to see if I could use this one up.

Shirt:

I only needed 4 rows for the sleeves before it became too long.

For my own notes the pattern suggests closing the shirt with ties. I used a snap. I find the ties get caught.

Overalls:

I would work fewer rows prior to splitting for legs as the overalls are a little long.

The straps required 31 chains in order to make it easy for a child to slide the overalls on and off.

The suggestion is snaps covered by buttons but this seemed overally complicated to me.

There is no flower pattern. I just copied the one I used for the Red Dress I posted about earlier in the week.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers