Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Kelly Red Pants and Pink Shirt



I have had several discussions with people about making Barbie and her friends and family outfits. What I have come to realize is there some of us focus on practical use and others on fashion and look. I would love to be able to make the thread outfits, but I lack the skills. However, this weekend I unexpectedly had a relative visiting. When she picked up this outfit to play with, I realized it was only because it was not made of thread that it survived the encounter.

I also focus need to focus on ensuring that snaps will not pop off and the buttons stay on tight. This does not always lend itself to delicate creations. Little hands are not always gentle, but they do love their dolls. This sometimes calls for practical and functional solutions, not always the most beautiful, delicate, and dainty looks. Others will argue that one can do both, however, this weekend reminded me that one should know the intended audience of one’s gifts. I do and for it is finally sinking in that each of us has a calling and a reason for our gifts. Mine is to make dolls clothes that can withstand tough little hands. I have a different audience than other doll clothes makers, but there is room in the world for all of us.

It made me think about my motivations for learning to crochet. Unlike many people, I know who knit and crochet, I did not learn as a child. I have only been at this a less than two years. One of my motivations was to be able to make dolls clothes and toys. I had looked at some of the junk that passed for Barbie's clothes and knew there were better options if one knew how to knit or crochet them. I have had store bought outfits almost shred as I have removed them from model dolls to try on outfits I was making. That is not what kids should have to deal with when playing with their dolls.

In the last year, I have gotten more adventurous about exploring and experimenting with patterns. This in fact is the pants and part of the shirt portion of a free overalls and shirt pattern available here. I started with the intentions of finishing the pattern as written. Before I was done, I had another dress and skirt finished. The overalls and the shirt have yet to be made as written. I am sure I will get back to it at some point, but it was fun experimenting to make new outfits for Kelly.

Barbie and American Girl Doll Free Patterns are listed on my blog at these locations:

Kelly/Skipper Page

Barbie Crochet and Sewing Page

Barbie Knitting Page

Ken Page

American Girl Doll Crochet and Sewing

American Girl Doll Knitting

Additional Doll Patterns also Available on the Holiday Blogs:

Christmas

Valentines

Easter

Graduation

Patriotic

Halloween Page

Thanksgiving

Pictures may not be used without written permission.


7 comments:

Nicole Ireland said...

How cute!! I wish I could make stuff like that, but that's not my talent. I can cross-stitch and that's it.

Sheltie Times said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheltie Times said...

I would love to be able to edit my comments, but I can delete or leave them as stated.

I never thought I would EVER be able to make these clothes when I started a few years ago. I decided to teach myself knitting and crocheting to see which "stuck." The crocheting was the one that worked for me.

C.Mahan said...

This is super cute! I tried knitting, but with typing for work and school all day long it hurt my hands too much. I used to crochet when I was younger. I did get a knitting machine for Christmas, and have yet to have time to test it out!

Sheltie Times said...

I am really curious about the knitting machines. I bought the knitting looms and have the books and DVD's to try out. I am going through a doll clothes phase so I have not picked them up yet. If I get the clothes made and put away while I am in the mood, I will be ahead for holidays, birthdays, and maybe even Christmas. So I am avoiding the temptation to pick up the looms.

I would be interested to hear how the knitting machine works out. If I conquer the looms that could be next.

Anonymous said...

So cute! I love all of your little doll clothes! You should sell them on etsy or something. :D

18 Doll Clothes said...

Hello dude,

This is super and cute! This looks like model with kelly red pants and pink shirt. Thanks for this information.... Nice Blog!!!

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers