Tuesday, October 12, 2021

16 Inch Baby Doll Dress, Hat, and Shoes



I started using this free pattern when I was still using the soft bodied Mary Maxim 15-inch dolls they've since discontinued. With a little adjustment the pattern fit and with a bit more still fits the JC Toys - La Baby 16-inch Baby Doll despite being designed to fit a smaller 14-inch doll. You can find the free pattern here.

I've been targeting specific yarns in my stash this year to finish off. For this project I pulled out the Herrschners worsted weight that was gifted to me from a donor in the Charity Knitting group on Ravelry. I don't plan on letting this yarn grow roots in my stash. I want it to head out as doll outfits as quickly as I can use it up.

This is a lighter yarn so while I checked my notes from previous projects I needed to make additional adjustments to accommodate the lighter yarn.

I used an I hook for the upper portion of the dress joining as I went. This dress suggests using velcro to close and I've used buttons and snaps. I find velcro very difficult to use with crochet projects so I always substitute snaps or buttons. However, when possible, I find the slide on and off outfits to be easier for little hands. I also never complain if I don't have to sew snaps or buttons. I changed to a G hook for the skirt and the fit was good. I also used a G for the straps.

This is the first time I've tried multiple colors with this pattern but I liked it. I'm going to keep these colors but reverse them for the second doll's outfit. As I said I am determined to finish off the yarn.

Using a g hook, the hat pattern required a few extra increases to make it fit the doll's head. I also added contrasting colored shells for a little fun.

The shoes are my go-to free shoe pattern found in the Peachy Keen set here. I normally use an I hook to make the shoes fit but with the lighter yarn I had to go to a J hook to get the shoes big enough to fit the feet.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers