Monday, May 25, 2020

Microwave Bowl Cozy


I picked up a quilted microwave cozy at a craft fair back in the fall and at the time only bought one not really sure if we'd use it. Sure enough it quickly become a popular item in our house for warming up soups, etc.

The February Crochet World published a Valentine themed pattern for a crocheted microwave cozy in their magazine. You can purchase the digital pattern alone here. It was on my someday I'll get to this list, but as I realized the spring and summer craft sales were not going to be a thing this year so I could pick up more quilted ones, I realized it was time to tackle a crochet one.


The cozy is double thick which does make it strong enough, which was one of my concerns when I was making it. It survived its first outing and received positive feedback on its usefulness compared to the quilted one.


The pattern is designed to be made with two different cotton skeins, one solid color and one variegated. This meant switching colors multiple times and weaving in all those ends.

That design has a certain esthetic appeal but my main focus was on producing a workable product so I pulled Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Ombres Mod Yarn from my stash and stuck with it for the whole pattern. I rather like the look and certainly appreciated the added simplicity of not having to change yarn several times and then sew in the resulting ends. I'm not sure those using it in my house would really appreciate the additional work for the color changes. If you decide to make a cozy that will be for you to decide. I rather like the one color look myself.

Project note for myself. This project calls for an f hook. To make gauge I had to use an h hook.


5 comments:

Jeanna said...

That's quite pretty and would look great on a shelf or left out on the counter.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

This post has been pinned to our Encouraging Hearts and Home Pinterest board, thanks for sharing at the Encouraging Hearts and Home Link-up and Blog Hop! Please come and visit again, we appreciate it.

Dee | GrammysGrid.com said...

Thanks so much for linking up with me at my #UnlimitedMonthlyLinkParty 13, open June 1 to 26. All party entries shared if social media buttons installed.

Lydia from Lydia's Flexitarian Kitchen said...

Very pretty project! I have some cotton yarn in my stash that would work for it. I understand acrylic wouldn't be a good choice but have you tried 100% wool? Thanks for linking up with us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg :)

Sheltie Times said...

100% wool is considered to be safe for most kitchen products. While I don't have a wool allergy, I do find it scratchy to work with and use so I tend to stick with cotton when possible. Others tell me they have the softest wool and love it, I just haven't been that fortunate.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers